This week's roundup of member news and events.
NCAPA MEMBERS IN THE NEWS
H.R. 3009 passes: NCAPA strongly opposed the Enforce the Law for Sanctuary Cities Act, H.R. 3009, and urged members of Congress to vote no. The bill passed 241-179 and would bar federal funding from “sanctuary cities.” NCAPA issued a statement saying the bill does not answer the real problem of our broken immigration system.
Medicare briefing: On Monday, July 20, Dr. Ho Luong Tran, M.D., M.P.H., President and CEO of NCAPIP, and other expert panelists, discussed how care coordination improves the health of seniors and addressed language barriers, cultural competency and the need for more resources. Learn more about Medicare Advantage here.
“Dreams Deported” book launch: On Wednesday, July 22, Kent Wong, director of UCLA Center on Labor Research and Education, hosted a book launch at NCAPA’s Brown Bag Series. During this time, he, Hareth Andrade and Ives Gomes shared inspirational stories about the movement and the book, “Dreams Deported”, led by immigrant youth across the nation. “Dreams Deported” is the third book of its series, find more information here.
New 40 & Forward blog: As part of SEARAC's "40 & Forward" blog series commemorating 40 years of the Southeast Asian experience, SEARAC Program Associate Souvan Lee wrote a blog about his family's experience fleeing Laos after the Vietnam War and the Secret War.
AAPI mental health Twitterstorm: On Wednesday, July 22, NCAPA participated in the Twitterstorm hosted by WHIAAPI and SAMHSA addressing mental health disparities for AAPIs as part of Minority Mental Health Month. Check out what participants had to say by searching the hashtags #AAPIMentalHealth and #MMHM2015.
APIASF: AANAPISI Scholarship Program
- Policy & Programs Director in Washington, D.C.
- McGuireWoods/NLF Undergraduate Internship Program. Applications for Fall 2015 are due July 24. Applications for Spring 2016 are due Nov. 20.
- Monday, July 27 @ 6:30 p.m.:APIAVote YouthVote Briefing in D.C.
- Monday, July 27: NAKASEC & partnersDream Riders Across America Launch in D.C.
- DACA hour at 6:30-8:30 p.m. RSVP.
- Tuesday, July 28 @ 9:00 a.m.: World Hepatitis Day Press Conference Hosted by U.S. Representatives Mike Honda and Hank Johnson at 2168 Rayburn HOB. RSVP.
- Tuesday, July 28 @ 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.:NAPAWF Briefing on AAPI Women & Immigration Reform in D.C.
- Tuesday, July 28 @ 12:30 - 1:30 p.m.:NCAPA Brown Bag - Historic Preservation with JACL at AAJC's conference room
- Tuesday, July 28 @ 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.:SALDEF/SikhLEAD Langar on the Hill in the Rayburn Foyer on Capitol Hill
- Thursday, July 30 @ 5:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.:SEARAC 40 & Forward Reception in Minneapolis
- Thursday, July 30 @ 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.: AAJC Brown Bag - Domestic Violence & Campus Violence: Creating Dialogue and Taking Action
- Wednesday, Aug. 5:AAPA 2015 Annual Convention in Toronto, Canada
- Thursday, Aug. 6 - Sunday Aug. 9:2015 National NQAPIA Conference: Thriving Together in Chicago, IL
- Friday, Aug. 7 - Monday, Aug. 10:NAAPIMHA’s 2nd Annual Friends DO Make a Difference Mental Health Summit in Breckenridge, CO
- Saturday, Aug. 8:Sixth Laotian National Conference Workshop in Providence, RI
- Thursday, Aug. 13 - Sunday, Aug. 16:APALA 13th Biennial Convention in San Diego, CA
- Tuesday, Sept. 22 - Thursday, Sept. 24: CNHA Native Hawaiian Convention in Honolulu, HI
- Saturday, Sept. 26 - Sunday, Sept. 27:Center for APA Women National Leadership Summit and 20th Anniversary Reception in Redmond, WA.
- Monday, Sept. 28 - Wednesday, Sept. 30:National CAPACD 15th Annual Convention in D.C.
OTHER COMMUNITY EVENTS
- Thursday, July 23 - Saturday, Aug. 1:Asian American International Film Festival in NYC
- Tuesday, July 28 @ 1:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: Lights, Camera, Policy - D.C. Intern Summer Film Series in D.C. RSVP by Monday, July 27.
- Saturday, Aug. 1 @ 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: OCA - Northern Virginia’s Annual Crab Feast. RSVP to [email protected]